Senior Software Engineer, Natural Language Processing / Machine Learning
Employment Type: Full-Time
Hi, we're Oscar. We're hiring a Senior Software Engineer for Natural Language Processing / Machine Learning to join our Engineering team in our New York City office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 and headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, and human. We need your help to do so.
About the Role:
Our goal is to make healthcare simple, transparent, and human. In Engineering, we do that by building reliable and maintainable applications, infrastructure, and interfaces that make interacting with the health care system easier for everyone -- members, providers, and (yes!) ourselves.
As a Senior Natural Language Processing/Machine Learning Engineer, you'll be helping us bridge the gap between complex medical terminology and human conversation. We're working on projects like an enrichment layer (including named entity recognition) for our medical terms/doctor search, intent classification of the messages our members send to customer service, and a question/answering service for helping members and customer service teams navigate complex insurance issues.
We take pride in our ability to move quickly (deploys > 100/day), our small teams (engineers <= 5), and our willingness to tackle big problems (frequency == everyday).
* Define, prototype, and evaluate machine-learning models, and deploy those models within production services, complete with testing, monitoring, and alerting.
* Learn new languages and technologies as needed. Our stack includes Python, Golang, RDS, BigQuery, elasticsearch, and more.
* Mentor junior colleagues through code and design reviews, and spread your statistical computing expertise.
* Help us identify high-value business opportunities for applying machine learning and natural language processing by collaborating and communicating with various teams across the organization, both technical and non-technical. Equally important, help guide technical designs away from statistical approaches when heuristic methods are more appropriate.
* You've been programming professionally for 5+ years (or 3+ and a relevant PhD).
* You have a good understanding of the following: distributed systems, microservices and APIs, data structures and algorithms.
* You know how to apply standard implementations of machine learning and natural language processing algorithms (e.g. those available in scikit-learn, tensorflow, theano, keras, spacy, nltk, or similar), evaluate their performance, and choose suitable models.
* You have deployed machine learned models to production, and have been involved in writing APIs/services around those models and monitoring/analyzing their production performance.
* You know how to explore the tradeoffs of using a pre-trained model or API, versus an off-the-shelf model trained on custom data, versus a customized model.
* You care about what you do.
* You care about what we do.
Nice to haves:
* You have worked on problems/domains like multi-label classification, named entity recognition, question/answering, search, or recommendation systems.
* You have experience with augmenting small training sets (for example applying techniques such as oversampling, active learning, etc.)
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we work to cultivate an environment where exceptional people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change healthcare -- an experience made whole by your unique background and perspectives.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant's disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (...@hioscar.com) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy: Oscar's Pay Transparency Policy ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.
Associated topics: health, healthcare, healthcare appliance, medical, medical instrument
Loading some great jobs for you...