- NEC Energy Solutions
About NEC Energy Solutions
NEC Energy Solutions (NEC ES) designs, manufactures, and integrates smart energy storage solutions for the electric grid and applications with critical power needs. Its megawatt-scale energy storage and control systems provide greater stability to the grid while maximizing renewable generation. In telecom, datacenter, and other industrial applications, its high performance lithium-ion battery systems provide better value than traditional lead-acid batteries in tough, critical power applications. NEC ES is widely recognized as a pioneer and leader in the market for utility scale energy storage. NEC ES has extensive experience installing and commissioning commercial grid energy storage solutions with power ratings ranging from 50 kW to more than 50 MW at numerous sites around the world. Our GSS? grid energy storage platform has been deployed in commercial revenue service since 2008, with over 750 MW installed, under construction, or in late stages of development. GSS? systems are serving applications globally that include peak shaving, renewable integration (ramp management), frequency response, frequency regulation and voltage regulation.
You will be responsible for providing field support including troubleshooting, maintenance, software/firmware upgrades, and sustaining engineering for installed Grid Storage Solutions (GSS?) worldwide. This position serves as an experienced technical resource to assist both customers and less experienced team members resolve customer issues quickly. This position also interfaces with third-party suppliers of large system components including inverters, transformers, and air conditioning systems used with NEC Energy Solutions GSS?. You will work closely with the mechanical, electrical, software and firmware teams to escalate and resolve difficult technical issues.
* Serve as customer facing technical resource and work in collaboration with engineers and other senior staff as needed to provide effective end user support to resolve system performance issues.
* Safely operate, plan and perform preventive maintenance, troubleshoots and repairs Energy Storage systems at the customer sites.
* Support software, firmware network configuration and control system installation and startup at customer sites.
* Actively pursue cost avoidance and reductions by reducing no fault found returns, externally induced faults, developing field repair strategies and improving service processes.
* Recommend and coordinate software/firmware upgrades for the sites.
* Document all field and troubleshooting work maintaining accurate site records and documenting issues in the appropriate systems.
* Perform failure analysis of field returns to determine root cause and corrective action.
* Contribute to product support procedures, training, troubleshooting guides and other service documentation
* Educate customers and contractors on basic equipment operation, response, and maintenance.
* Influence product design based on customer feedback and real world experience
The position Requires:
* Must have strong mechanical and electrical troubleshooting skills with the ability to read and interpret schematics and drawings in relation to physical systems.
* Ability to interface well with team members in a cross functional environment
* Must be able to perform duties with general direction, receiving only general guidance with respect to overall objectives. Work is usually quite independent of other team members
* Expertise troubleshooting hardware and software compatibility issues
* Integration of and configuring system components.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Familiar with power semiconductors, microprocessors, power supplies and communication circuits
* Basic knowledge of computer network operating systems and Linux navigation skills.
* Experience with troubleshooting and resolving complex system-level software issues.
* Working knowledge TCP/IP networking background, especially routing and communications protocols.
* Working knowledge of communications protocols such as CAN, Modbus, TC/PIP, DNP3
* Experience with computer network operating systems
Desired (Not Required)
* Fluency in Spanish or other second language.
* Familiarity with complex controls systems, Real-Time Operating Systems, firmware design a significant plus.
* Engineering experience with energy storage and power conversion systems
* Knowledge of generation, transmission and distribution in electric grid systems (Electric Utility based experience is highly desired)
* Structured problem solving experience or Lean background
* Computer Network engineering certification preferred.
* B.S. in Electrical Engineering or equivalent technical experience
* 10 + years experience
* Willingness to travel up to 50%, domestic and international.
* Flexibility with working overtime and being on-call at off-hours a must.
* Ability to lift and carry material is required.
* Must have a valid driver's license and passport and be willing /able to drive and fly to field sites as needed.
Associated topics: automotive, breakdown, field service, field service technician, machine repair, maintenance, maintenance mechanic, maintenance technician, malfunction, upgrade
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...